While the weather in the UK definitely certainly isn’t screaming summer right now, I’m definitely not giving up eating deliciously warmer weather style meals – and this number hit the spot perfectly. The chicken gives a good hit of protein to help fill you up, while the courgette (zucchini for all you Americans) and tomato base is light but still full of flavour. Even better? The whole thing is ready from prep to finish in about 15 minutes – the perfect weeknight meal!
I dreamed up this meal when I was on the way home one evening and will definitely be making it again (especially as it was a big hit with my boyfriend, too)! To find out how to make it for yourself, read on…
16 cherry tomatoes
2 large courgettes
2 chicken breasts (about 180-200g each)
Italian herb blend
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp olive oil or several good sprays of FryLite
25g 0% fat Greek yoghurt
2 tbsp green pesto
1 lemon, quartered
1. Prepare the veg – cut the cherry tomatoes in half and use a potato peeler to peel thin strips lengthways down the courgettes. Stop once you get to the middle section with the pips – you don’t want this part as it’ll be quite bitter. Place the courgette strips between two pieces of kitchen towel and gently pat to help remove any excess water. Put veg to one side.
2. Heat a griddle pan until hot. Wrap each piece of chicken in baking paper and hit with a rolling pin for about 10 seconds to flatten and tenderise each breast. Unwrap and season each side well with the herb blend and salt and pepper.
3. In the hot griddle pan, cook the chicken for about 4-6 minutes on each side. Once cooked through, keep in the pan but remove from heat.
4. Heat oil/FryLite in a separate large frying pan. Once hot, add the cherry tomatoes and cook, moving around the pan, for 3 mins. Then, add the courgette ribbons and cook for a further 2 mins, stirring. Remove from heat, then take two of the lemon quarters and squeeze their juice over the mix; give it one final stir.
5. To make the dressing, mix the yoghurt and pesto together and stir well until it has a smooth, fairly thin consistency.
6. To serve, divide the veg equally between two plates. Cut each chicken breast width-ways into 5 or 6 slices and arrange on top. Drizzle the pesto dressing on top according to taste, and garnish with a quarter of lemon.